Thursday, April 20, 2006

DPT Trip Report: My worse hand ever

Denver Poker Tour
Junior's/Famous Door
4/20/2006

The worse hand I've ever played.

I've been playing worse than Phil Hellmuth lately, I can't laid down anything. It was the first hand of the night.

Starting chips: 500, Blinds 5/10 (11 handed)
Preflop: Hero is MP with AA
UTG calls, MP calls, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 60, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.
Flop: (pot: 300) J 3 4 (6 players)
SB checks, BB bets 75, UTG fold, MP folds, Hero raises to 200, SB folds, BB goes all in.
Hero calls.

BB turns over 44 and shows trips.
Hero has AA.
Turn and river fails to hit another AA .
Total pot: 1240

Mistakes I made

After this hand, I had to go for a walk to clear my head. I listened to the Circuit podcast from Cardplayer magazine. They had some discussion on how to play early in a tournament and to avoid big pots and to laid down when you don't have the nuts.

I think I made the following mistakes.
1) Preflop: Since the pot only had two players who can play anything, A raise of 40 could have force some folks out. The pot also would have just been 240. I wouldn't have felt so pot committed after the flop.
2) Flop: After the initial bet of 75. I could have raised all in and represented trip Jacks. This would have apply more pressure to my opponent. The 200 raise was weak.
3) Flop: I could have folded after the reraise all in, the player could have trip 3, 4, J or two pairs. It was early in the tourament and I could have shown the laydown. I would have been left with 200 in chips.

Mistake #3 was probably my best option. I've recovered from worse deficits in this tournaments.

No comments: